In October, Zone 8 held their Fall Gathering at Grace Lutheran Church in San Mateo, CA. The women of Grace provided a very “welcoming” setting for our gathering with Fall colors on the tables and DELICIOUS choices for “something sweet” with our coffee on our arrival.
Rev. Noland led the group in a Bible Study on “CHRISTIAN CHARITY AND COMPASSION” based on Ps. 51:1-2 “Have mercy on me O Lord according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions , wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sins.” and Acts 6:1-7 (where 7 were chosen to meet the needs of the poor). He shared instances where Jesus showed compassion (feeding of the 5000) and taught His disciples what it meant to “have compassion” not just on those of your own background but reaching out to other communities and beliefs who are in need.
Rev. Fajardo of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Pacifica presented information on the International and Hispanic Ministry of LCMS done thru the Board of International Missions (BOIM). of which he currently serves. He shared the background of his personal call to the ministry of LCMS after growing up in Mexico as son of a Lutheran pastor, attending U. of Texas to study engineering and how God called him to the ministry of the LCMS and to involvement in the BOIM. He showed us a video presentation of the BOIM in which current Nigerian men who are being trained to be Pastors on their continent shared the concerns of teaching the Christian faith to native men who have not been raised in the Christian faith but were called to become pastors in the mission field of their homeland. Very crucial in this training is the availability of the printed Word (Bibles) and the catechism and other theological books in their own language.
Grace Lutheran Church, San Mateo – by Shirley Gangelhoff, LWML President
Grace Lutheran has a quilting day once a month. These quilts are sent to Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch in North Dakota, where at-risk children are helped to succeed in the name of Christ, and to the Fort Wayne and St Louis Seminaries. Baby quilts go to the Ronald McDonald House in Sacramento.
Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Pacifica – by Lori Fisher, Dorcas Society Vice President
At our last monthly meeting for 2021, we will be making our plans for our Christmas Potluck, the last fundraiser of the year for our Love Gift recipients:
- LCMS International Missionaries in Bucharest, Romania - Rev Andrew and Megan Fedder
- Pacifica Meals on Wheels - The MOW program delivers scratch-cooked meals Monday-Friday to Pacifica’s 60+ seniors and disabled adults to maintain their independence and stay in their home who are at nutritional risk and unable to shop and prepare their own meals
- Pacific Lutheran Jr & Sr High School, Gardena, California - Lucas Fitzgerald, Principal (former OSLC member)
- Lutheran Braille Workers - Providing the Word of God freely to people who are blind or visually impaired
- Lutheran Heritage Foundation LHF translates, publishes, distributes, and introduces books that are Bible-based, Christ-centered and Reformation-driven. LHF has published the catechism in more than 90 languages with dozens more requested
First Lutheran Church, So San Francisco – by Mary Deger Seevers, LWML Treasurer
Every year our group participates in Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child by filling Christmas decorated shoe boxes of toys, hygiene & school supplies for children in crisis all over the world. This year National Collection Week was Nov. 15-22. and once again, our LWML covered the postage for all the shoe boxes collected.